Dear friends, I finally got some time to upload some of the recipes I’ve been cooking in the last few months… Apologies for not having done it before but the last period has been really busy for me.
Here is the recipe of one of our absolute favourite breakfast cakes, incredibly chocolatey and moist and really easy to make. Not having any butter or oil it is perfect for any break during the day, but you can also make it richer and perfect for a party by adding a chocolate glaze and a raspberry jam filling!
SERVES: 8-10 people
KITCHEN TO TABLE: 1 hour
- 600ml semi-skimmed milk
- 400gr white self raising flour
- 450gr white sugar
- 130gr cocoa powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons of soluble coffee (if you make this cake for kids, you may prefer to use 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract instead of the coffee)
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- Icing sugar
- Large mixing bowl
- Small pan
- Round cooking tin (I used a 21cm one)
- Electric whisk
- Greaseproof cooking paper
- Preheat your oven at 180° fan mode
- In the small pan gently heat the milk until warm
- Mix all your dry ingredients with a fork, then stir in the warm milk and mix with the electric whisk until smooth (don’t be scared, the mix will be very liquid!)
- Layer your cooking tin with the greaseproof paper and transfer the mix in it (to be on the safe side, when you place the tin in the oven you can place a sheet of kitchen foil under your tin… Mine has never leaked anyway)
- Place the tin in the hot oven (180°) and cook for about 40-45 minutes or until such point when inserting a toothpick into your cake, it comes out clean and dry
- Let it cool completely on a oven tray allow the bottom to fully dry and add some icing sugar on top for super yummy effect!