After sharing with you some of my weekend’s early morning treats, I feel it’s time to tell you how I start all my weekdays (rose apart)!
After our last holidays in the Maldives where I had the most delicious bircher muesli I’ve ever tried, I was inspired to create something light and filling to eat every morning in order not to be starving at 10 (in surgery we start at 7.30AM and my breakfast is usually at 5.30) but, at the same time, not to be as heavy as to make me feel sleepy.
It may be also because it reminds me of the best holiday I’ve ever had, but this is my absolute favourite breakfast and you can easily transform it using the fruit you like the most! I hope you’ll enjoy it!
SERVES: 1 person
KITCHEN TO TABLE: overnight soaking for the rolled oats + 5 mins to serve
Use this handy interactive list to keep track of the ingredients you still need for this recipe!
- 50gr Bob’s Red Mill rolled oats
- 2 large oranges, juiced
- 2 Pink Lady apples
- 200gr organic blueberries
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 cereal bowls
- 1 knife
- Cling film
THE NIGHT BEFORE:
- Put in one bowl the rolled oats, add the juice of the two oranges (if you are in a hurry and super sleepy you can substitute the fresh orange juice for some good quality ready made one, but make sure you just about cover your oats with the juice, without letting them navigate in too much fluid). Seal your bowl with cling film and let it rest in the fridge overnight
- Cut your apples in quarters, then divide each quarter in three slices lengthwise. Divide these slices in tiny pieces horizontally (this, for me, is the quickest way to do small nice triangles but you can also do it in other ways)
- Place the sliced apples in the other bowl and sprinkle them with the lemon juice in order to prevent them from turning brown. After covering the bowl with the cling film, let them rest in the fridge.
IN THE MORNING:
- Take your two bowls out of the fridge and remove the cling film from both
- If you, like I do, do not like your breakfast to be too cold, place your cup with the diced apples in the microwave for a few seconds, then transfer the apples in the cup with the soaked rolled oats
- Wash your blueberries and add them on top of your apple and rolled oats cup.